Friday, October 19, 2007

A Lot in My Head

1. We got FOUR listings in the past 4 days!!! I am going CRRAAAAZZZZYYYY at work!!! I have so much to do and I feel like I have so little time to get it all done.
2. One thing that always makes me feel better is baking. We have a block party tomorrow night so I made 3 desserts for about 10 houses. It doesn't matter if no one eats some of it, because I will just take it to work with me on Monday. I made homemade brownies (these are the only kind I can make...I suck at making the kind from the quick box!), a cinnamon pumpkin dessert, and my orange triple layers. I know what you're thinking...yummy, right? Well here you go:

Brownies: Preheat to 325. mix 2/3 c. sugar, 1 c. brown sugar, 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. milk, 2 tbsp. oil, 2 tsp. baking powder, and 4 tbs. cocoa powder together. Mix well and pour into 8X8 greased pan. Boil 1 c. water. In a separate bowl, mix 2 tbs. cocoa powder and 1/4 c. brown sugar. Sift this mixture over the spread (make sure that it doesn't all clump up in one spotI) and when water is hot, evenly pour over spread and sugar mixture. Bake for 35 mins or until set. At the end you should have a pudding-type of feel to what is in the pan. Serve warm w/ ice cream...so yummy!!!

Cinnamon pumpkin dessert: crush 2-3 graham crackers at a time between a piece of waxed paper (I tore off a piece, stuck them in the middle, wrapped the paper around them and used my rolling pin to crush them 2-3 at a time, then used the paper as a funnel to eventually measure out 1.5 cups of crackers). Pour crackers into a bowl and add 4 tbs. butter and 1/4 c. brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix all this together and then press into bottom of a 9X9 baking dish. Combine pumpkin puree (I just bought pumpkin pie mix), 1/2 c. brown sugar, and 1 tsp. cinnamon in bowl and mix well. stir in 1 qt. vanilla ice cream and spoon this mixture on top of the crust. Cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon. YUM!!!

Triple Orange Layers: you will will need an angel food cake for this, and I usually make mine from scratch. Tear into bite-size pieces for later use. Get 2 small or 1 large can of mandarin oranges, drain the juice into a saucepan, and set oranges aside. Bring juice to a boil and add 6 oz. of orange jello mix. Stir VERY well and empty into a large bowl with 1 qt. orange sherbet and fold in 12 oz. whipped cream. This will make a lot so you may have some left...and it is VERY sticky....trust me! I usually use a trifle dish because it's pretty but I think it's best to use a more "vertical" dish than a horizontal one, although I'm sure a horizontal one would work but it won't look as good. Then take the angel food cake pieces and place them on the bottom of your dish, pushing up against the sides and covering the bottom, then add in 1/3 of the orange mixture and add the mandarin oranges on top. Add another layer of angel food cake and continue layering until you run out of room in the dish or angel food cake, whichever comes first! Cover and stick in the fridge for about 6-8 hours. You can top it off with mint leaves and it's so pretty! Remember that it's sticky and messy, especially if it overflows!

3. wow, it's getting late. I have to study more tomorrow, my cousin is getting baptized, and we have the block party.
See ya later!

No comments: