Sunday, March 9, 2008

Diverticu-What? and the Colitis Diet.

So I've been having some stomach pain for a few days, not too bad, then I started my period 2 weeks early and thought I was just having major cramps on Thursday. But even my most major cramps have gone away and these did not, and they were very specific on my body...on the left side of my stomach.
Thursday morning at work I felt this ripping pain...piercing, throbbing...rush from my tailbone to my belly button...lasted for about 20 minutes. I couldn't take it, I had to go home.
I lied on the couch for the rest of the day, for it hurt to really move/stand up/sit up. I've felt this before, been through this before. Last time they were on the right side of my stomach. I knew. I should've trusted my instincts but my dear, DEAR husband didn't want to take me to urgent care because "let's just see if it gets better." So I said, "And on David time, when will that be???" Yeah, I was annoyed at him.
So I went to the dr. Friday morning and up, I've got colitis again, this time with diverticulitis. Very painful stuff. Dr. told me that anytime you have abdominal pain or chest pain, seek immediate medical attention. Good advice, I say...I'll pass that info right along to my DEAR husband!
Had an x-ray, waiting to get a cat scan this Thursday, and a colonoscopy in the next month or so. On antibiotics and pain killers (thank God for these!) which do seem to be helping. Haven't eaten probably 1500 calories since Wednesday TOTAL and I am SOOOO hungry!!! Can only eat soup and clear liquids for now.
Now I know I should drink more water and eat a more "high fiber" diet...lesson learned, can we be done with this please???
Funny thing my dr. said....people in their 60s usually get this...he's never seen anyone my age with it before. I do feel old now! Old and in pain...

I was also joking with David about it...everyone kept asking if I was pregnant b/c of the stomach pains....well, if this is how my first pregnancy starts off, he is in for a veeeerrrry long 9 months...even I feel sorry for him!

1 comment:

Christina Carnoy said...

hope you feel better!!!