Thursday, February 7, 2008

I am absolutely speechless and that never happens.

I can't believe it. Again, it's happening again. Kirkwood is going through hell...again.
First, a guy shot and killed a city police officer a few years ago...he was just sentenced to death this week.
Second, the two kidnapped boys who had been missing for about a week and 4 and a half years, were found in an apartment complex in Kirkwood.
Third, tonight...the mayor was shot, he is fighting for his life as I write this; the shooter killed 2 police officers and various members of the Kirkwood City Council.

One of my best friends knows one of the men who died, the Public Works Director, Kenneth Yost...she goes to church with him at Kirkwood United Church. He and his wife lost their son to suicide a few years back.

I am devastated and heartbroken and my heart feels torn in half. This literally hits home for me, as I work FIVE MINUTES from where this occurred. I am shaken, with a heavy heart, and this entire situation is unfathomable and it feels like a dream again. Even the reporters on TV are upset; you can see them struggling to maintain their composure, particularly the ones who grew up or have lived in Kirkwood their whole lives.

Kirkwood is one of the best, most popular cities in the St. Louis area. you would not believe the property values, really (hello, I am a real estate agent!). It is a beautiful historic town where people are proud to live, proud so say "I live here!" It has grown so much from when my dad worked there when I was a little girl.

I don't even know what else to say...I've been watching the news since it broke about 4 hours ago and I still just can't believe it.

It's shit like this that makes me scared to go to work five minutes down the road. Who knows who will walk in our office and pull out a gun because an agent did something they didn't like???

But always know this: just as during September 11 when this country was brought together as one through a terrible tragedy, such is this situation in Kirkwood. Tonight is this city's own personal hell, because the details of this situation may have been avoided, we will never know. But St. Louisans are STRONG...we aren't just the "Show Me State" we are also the "Show Your Strength" state...

So Kirkwood, show me your strength...show me your light...show me your unity and your life and your love and your hope. We do have hope...but once again, this city's personal hell will be felt for a time to come.

So please pray for us...we need all we can get. We need hope, we need love, and we may just need a bit more faith.

Thank you,
Jamie

1 comment:

Christina Carnoy said...

I'll pray for you, sorry about what is going on, that is just too much tragedy...what a broken world we live in...